The magnificent Roxy Theatre situated in the main street of Bingara, is a striking building with a history as colourful as its painted exterior. Built in 1936 by three Greek immigrants from the island of Kythera, Peter Feros, Emanuel Aroney and George Psaltis, it operated as a cinema until 1958, after which time it was closed and lay dormant for forty years.
In May 2004, The Roxy was faithfully restored to its original splendor and was re-opened to the public. It has since been listed on the NSW State Heritage Register as a site of historical significance. The theatre embraces some of the most striking original Art Deco architecture in New South Wales and still contains the original fixtures and fittings, including the ornate stucco plaster, paintwork and coloured lights from 1936.
Today, The Roxy functions as both a multipurpose cinema and regional centre for the performing arts, with The North West Theatre Company taking residence there. The quality and standard of the performances and events make any visit worthwhile and the more recently restored Peter’s Café and the Greek Café Museum are full of memories for those who recall the glory days of Greek cafes!
The Roxy has the capacity to act as a function centre for a wide variety of activities and events, ranging from birthdays and weddings to regional conferences and seminars.
Tours of the theatre, Peter’s Café and the Greek Café Museum are available at 10:30am (via prior booking), and at regular intervals on weekends leaving from the Visitor Information Centre.