With wide open spaces and endless night skies, Gravesend is the western gateway to the Great Dividing Range and makes a safe and peaceful base for exploring the region.
Originally a pastoral run in the 1850s, Gravesend grew from a fettler’s camp established in 1901 when the Moree to Inverell railway was built. In the 1930s, Gravesend was home to a prickly pear research station, and an early site for the release of cactoblastis that transformed NSW agriculture.
Gravesend has the distinction of being home to two important bridges. The 1900 railway bridge, with two 55 metre spans, had to be imported from England, and is described as one of the oldest and largest steel truss bridges in Australia, manufactured by the firm of Handyside and Co, who are best known as makers of the famous British pillar-box. The 1930 road bridge is an important example of a concrete truss bridge over a major inland river.
With excellent access to the Gwydir River, and plenty of free camping, Gravesend is a friendly base for anyone exploring not only the Gwydir Shire but also our neighboring Moree district, Waa Gorge, Berrigal Creek Aboriginal Area and Bullala National Park, and for fishing and birdwatching.